Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Nanny Follow-up / Labor Day Weekend / First Birthday Eve

So to add to my last blog about Brooke's first day with the nanny. She got lots of love from Liam, the 18-month boy who gave Brooke kisses all day long. She only napped 30 minutes all day, as she was too interested in her new surroundings and playing with the other kiddos to sleep. She finally passed out before lunch, but took no afternoon nap. She grew fond of Mrs. Debbie, the nanny, and stuck out her pouty lip when any other adult entered the room. She also attested to Brooke following her around and couldn't stand it to be left in the room alone, if even for a minute. 

Back at home (and smiling) on Friday
after the nanny's and only a 30-min nap!

She was back on schedule for the weekend, even attended Brie's 4th Birthday Party at Chuck-E-Cheese. She rode a few rides and loved it! Mommy and Daddy, on the other hand, were a little overwhelmed with all the chaos and ill-mannered children. It may be awhile before our next visit...

   

Monday was Labor Day, and that was surreal to think that just a year ago I was awaiting the birth of our sweet angel. All of my family was hoping Brooke would make her debut and have me in "labor" on the holiday. Nope, she already had her own agenda and would hold out as long as she could. We didn't do anything special this year - just spent the weekend at home relaxing and went to dinner Monday evening. Thankfully the restaurant was dead, Brooke thought she was "singing".


Tuesday Brooke was back to the sitters and again only slept an hour. When Michael picked up Brooke, Mrs. Debbie answered the door and exclaimed "Oh my gosh, she looks just like you!!!" Wednesday Brooke went to back for her last day with the nanny. Mommy forgot her wubbanub and Brooke barely slept a wink all day! Oops. She is so intrigued with all the people and doesn't like to miss a thing. She grew attached to Mrs. Debbie, which was great that she trusted her. She said she got sad when a parent (stranger to her) came in to pick up her friends (their children); she didn't understand the whole daycare concept and why they were leaving but she wasn't. I think the experience was good for her and we hope to use her a few more times in the months to come. As well as she did with the new nanny, making friends and adapting to a new environment without familiar people, we are grateful to have Grammy and Grumpy back next week.

Wednesday at pick up she was happy to see me, but very restless. After mumbling the first half of the ride home, she ended up passed out and in bed early that evening. Poor girl was exhausted on the eve of her first birthday.


I thought I wouldn't be able to let go of her the night before her first birthday. I dreaded it for months being so bittersweet that I would be an emotional wreck. However, we had a good snuggle and I kissed her and laid her down gently telling her in the morning she would be a big girl. After she was fast asleep, I sat on the couch watching old videos and looking at baby pictures from the last year of her life. My heart was overflowing with joy and love for my precious baby. I never imagined that my life would be filled with so much purpose and meaning and emotion. It is indescribable how much I feel for this little girl and I can't believe the last year has already flown by. So many memories packed into twelve months. I reminisced the eve of her birth and recall nesting at its finest - scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands and knees! I had my bags packed for my scheduled c-section and was struggling with going to sleep like it was the first day of school. I couldn't wait for September 4, 213 to meet my beautiful daughter. And now here we are a year later...

More gifts for the birthday girl!
"Elf on the Shelf: Birthday Tradition" from Auntie Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment