Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September 4 - Brooke's Birthday

The day we have been waiting for was finally here. I was up bright and early at 4 am to get ready for Brooke's Birthday! I got showered as Michael packed up the car with our bags. We were on the road and luckily only had a couple miles to go to the hospital where we were delivering, Memorial Hermann Katy. My mom met us and we took the elevator up to Labor & Delivery. My mom couldn't follow us back so we gave her our stuff and headed to pre-op. After signing a few forms, Michael got into his scrubs and I got changed into my gown. They hooked me up to an IV and started pumping me with fluids. At this point, things finally started to slow down for the first time all morning and I realized that within an hour I would have a baby. I was filled with emotions! It was an indescribably emotion of impatience and excitement. Next thing you know the doctor came in; it was time. I gave Michael one last kiss and I walked across the hall to surgery.

I was scared to get the anesthesia, and the nurse knew it. I was shaking like a leaf. They laid me back on the table and within a few moments my legs felt heavy, warm and tingly. I started to feel extreme nausea and just knew I was going to be sick. The nurse put a bag next to me face, but it never happened since they gave me more meds for it. It wasn't long that they threw up the sheet and everything was ready to start. Michael came in with the camera and sat right by my side. After 22 minutes, Brooke was pulled out and I saw my precious baby for the first time. That was the most amazing feeling in the world! The first thing the doctor said was that she had "the size head of a 10 pound baby" and that was the reason she was never engaged.

Michael took a few pictures and they brought Brooke to the side of the room. The doctor kept offering for Michael to go see her, but he didn't want to leave my side. Finally, he gave in and went over to take a few pictures. Then, he accompanied the nurse to the nursery to bathe our baby and get her measurements. Meanwhile, the doctor was stitching me back up. Then, they got a call and told me Brooke weighed in at 8 pounds 4 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long...our perfect bundle of joy!

The next hour or so went by pretty fast and was pretty foggy as they moved me back to a hospital bed and wheeled me back to the recovery room. Michael was already waiting for me. Due to all the fluids being pumped in my body, I couldn't stop shivering. It was very uncomfortable and I still couldn't move my toes. I think I may have dozed off for awhile. Next thing I know the nurse came in with a "present"...Brooke! I nursed our sweet little angel and it went perfect! After that we were off to my post-partum room.

Our family came in and saw the three of us and gave their congratulations. It was only about 10 am at this point, but it had already been such a long day. Everything was still so surreal. On top of all the feelings and commotion with nurses and visitors, one thing was for sure, Michael and I were parents! Our sweet little daughter was born at 7:55 am on Wednesday, September 4, 2013. I couldn't be more proud of that beautiful little girl.

A special thank you to my best friend, Mallory for taking pictures for us. Check them out on her blog, Mallory's Happiest Things.


No comments:

Post a Comment