Monday, February 24, 2014

Unfortunate, inherited trait

Brooke has gotten a trait from mommy that I was wishing she wouldn't... What we were hoping was just dry skin from the weather, the doctor recently confirmed is eczema. I remember as a child itching so bad that I would not be able to move my arms and legs. I was even hospitalized when it got really bad. The thought of that happening to Brooke breaks my heart. We have been trying to keep her dry skin under control, but this weekend she had a very bad flare up. Saturday, I bought some Baby Eczema Eucerin cream and tried that Sunday morning. She looked red, but it seemed to go away. Then a couple hours later, it got worse. It was red around her mouth, her chest, legs, arms…everywhere. I was so scared. I was in tears. Michael was nervous too! We called the doctor’s office and were ready to take her to Urgent Care, if necessary. She was scratching the backs of legs with her toes and her head and chest too. It was heartbreaking to see her skin so irritated.




We applied hydrocortisone on the affected areas and it didn't take long for it to be looking better. We kept a close eye over night, but planned to take her to the doctor in the morning. I don’t like seeing my baby suffer, and I take full advantage of snuggling during times like this. She is my precious baby and I want her better!


The doctor confirmed it was eczema and, as we know, there is no cure. We just have to keep in under control. She prescribed a steroid cream to use if and when lotion and hydrocortisone are not working and in case of flare ups, like on Sunday. She suggested using Curel for an everyday lotion, and so far that seems to be working much better. Her skin is back to being baby soft, with only minor redness in some of the creases. I am so happy that it is already looking 100% better. She is on the right track!

Despite her closet full of adorable clothes, she has been spending a substantial amount of time in her birthday suit lately. Her skin needs to breathe and she doesn't mind it either! She even enjoys “taking a ride in her car” in the buff.


No comments:

Post a Comment