Monday, May 19, 2014

A Teething & Sick Baby


Our little Brooke has had her bottom two teeth since March 23-24 (just shy of 7 months). I wrongfully assumed her top two teeth would be in at 8 months. Come to find out there really is no set schedule for baby teeth, especially with our little one. Above is merely a rough guideline for teething. 

Brooke's lateral incisors broke through the gums last week (May 13th)...before her central incisors even came in. In layman's terms, we had a baby vampire on our hands! This morning her top left tooth broke through. Yay! Our poor baby is teething like crazy and I know it does not feel good. Only good thing is they are all coming in one after another, which means it will be over soon. I wish I could do more for her, but there just isn't much you can do. She puts anything and everything in her mouth and is drooling a lot! She has been running a low grade fever, and we have occasionally put a dose of children's tylenol in her bottle before bed. She also started chewing on the inside railing of her crib. I have read so many bad reviews about the adhesive protectors. Apparently, they don't seem to stick long, so I am not going to even waste my time or money. A couple mornings I walk in to see white specs of paint on her face. I am graciously assuming that the paint they use on baby cribs is non-toxic for these reasons, and I am sure Brooke is fine. However, I don't want her to chew down the whole rail and ruin the crib. It would be nice to use this crib for baby #2 one day! My cousin Kelly sent me this link about a DIY Teething Guard and I am hoping to get around to it soon. Seems like a very inexpensive and cute idea to solve our problem. Now I just have to find the time to do it...

On top of teething, she ended up with an upper respiratory infection last week. Apparently she is still too young to take anything for it. So for now, all we can do is use the nasal bulb and suck out the snot! Every morning, she wakes up with a crusty nose and face and I can hear the congestion in her nose and chest. I feel so bad for her. I wish I could tell her how to blow her nose and it would help her breathe so much easier. Now she has associated that little blue bulb going in her nose and sucking out her insides...and she hates it! She swats my hands away and shakes her head from side to side. It is a losing battle for me. So I have resorted to Boogie Wipes which do help, but she also tries to eat them! They are grape-scented saline wipes and right now they are our best friend!


Saturday night Brooke opted to chew
on her bib rather than eat her carrots.

I love so much that Brooke's personality is shining through. As she gets older, she gets bigger and stronger. And with her lack of talking, she knows how to show us what she likes and doesn't like with her actions. She puts things in her mouth when she wants to explore them and she throws, swats and bangs at things she refuses. Oh...our little angel. I love her to pieces! She keeps us on our toes as she is getting faster and faster at crawling and pulling up on everything. She loves to climb into her PBK chair and pull at the blinds and bang on the window sill. She also loves crawling to the wall outlets in attempt to pull out the plug-in lights. She will put them in her mouth if she gets them out before you get to her. I am trying to teach her no, as that is the one thing she consistently does that she shouldn't be. She is obsessed with lights!

Brooke pulled up in her chair and then fell back on her bottom...with her feet still up.
She is very flexible, which often leads her to get into some strange positions.
It appears my days of going to the bathroom alone are over... 
And yes, that would be Brooke's head
at the bottom, crawling to get in the picture!

In a couple more weeks our precious Brooke will be 9 months old, 3/4 of the way through her first year of life. Oh my goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment