Monday, October 7, 2013

October 7 - The little things

I have come to appreciate the little things...so much more!

Getting a shower is a good day. Getting a shower AND drying my hair is a REALLY GOOD day. Getting a shower, drying my hair AND putting makeup on is a FANTASTIC day!

The other day I got a shower, gave Brooke a bath, cleaned bottles, had breakfast AND lunch all before 1 pm. I thought I was dreaming. 

Sleeping for a spurt of 3 hours or more is super rare...and so very much appreciated! I never thought I would feel so refreshed after getting a total of 6 hours of interrupted sleep at night! 

Getting through a day in the same outfit that I started in is another good one. So far I have a record high of 4 shirt changes in one day...that's for me by the way, not Brooke. Usually she gets away pretty clean; it's when she decides to squirm right before letting out a wet burp that gets spit up all over my shirt.

Getting through a diaper change without screaming is a beautiful thing. She really does not like having her behind wiped. So I am one happy camper if she gets a clean diaper without any tears...and so is she.

Having daddy cook dinner AND clean the dishes is amazing! Mommy has a full tummy and the sink is clean for the next round of bottle cleaning.

Ice cream in the freezer. I guess some cravings have not gone away! Michael got me into Haagen Dazs. I definitely recommend Caramel Cone and White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle. Both of them are mind-blowing delicious! I have to keep my dairy intake up, while I am producing milk, ya know? hehe

Taking a short trip to the grocery store. I have only been a couple times since Brooke was born, but it's the little things like running everyday errands that make me feel "normal" again. Being cooped up at home all day everyday can make anyone a little stir-crazy. So getting out for a little bit every once in a while helps break up my day and week. It's common for me not to know what day it is...

I am drinking just as much water as I was during my pregnancy. Breastfeeding is draining! I am thirsty (and pretty hungry) all of the time, plus staying hydrated helps with the supply. I have yet to get enough to save any more than she is eating. I am not sure what we will do when I return to work. Our little one has made it clear that she prefers my milk over formula; the last two times we supplemented, she spit up a LOT! Breastfeeding is not easy, and is very painful...not to mention how convenient it would be to mix formula and have more time between feedings. Formula would mean no pumping, no leaking, less bottle cleaning and no soreness to name a few. Breastfeeding is one of the most selfless acts you can do and the benefits are so rewarding! I give so much credit to the moms that nurse their children for more than 6 months, or at all - every little bit is so helpful to their little ones! So I am going to stick it out for now...and as long as I can! Prayers appreciated.

So at this point, with a 5 week old baby, it's the little things that I have come to appreciate. One of the things I love most right now, as it is happening more, is my baby girl smiling. Of course, any mom would say that right! But when I see her smile, time stops and everything is just perfect. Nothing in the world matters but her. She is a beautiful little miracle that I am so proud to call my daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment