Friday, November 1, 2013

November 1 - Adjusting

Brooke is now just over 8 weeks old, and we are still adjusting to our new lives. I know it is not a fast or easy process, but I definitely am looking forward to her getting on a schedule. I am such as structured person and these past few weeks have taught me more patience than anything else the last 28 years of my life! I have never possessed that virtue, but I surely am learning it now.

Along with that, I am learning many other things. Our little peanut has a mind of her own; I just love watching her grow. And growing she is! A week ago, our scale showed she weighed in at 14 pounds. Monday we go to her 2-month check up, so we shall see just how much more she has grown. She is definitely bigger than average, and we love every ounce of our little sweet pea! She is "talking" more and more everyday and kicking up a storm. Grumpy thinks she is teething, going to roll over any day, and will be crawling by Christmas. You think he is a proud Grandpa!? I am also very proud of myself to say that I am still providing milk for out little one. It is the most rewarding feeling to know that I can selflessly provide that much-needed nourishment for our baby. It is definitely a struggle at times, but so far it is working out well. Hopefully when I return to work, I can still manage to juggle it all. Unfortunately my milk supply came in so late, that I do not have much saved up. However, slowly but surely the extra supply is multiplying in the freezer. It is hard to keep up though, as Brooke eats about 25 ounces in a day. I don't always produce much more than that. Fenugreek is an herbal supplement that my OB-GYN recommended, along with many good reviews I read on the internet, and it immediately helped me increase my supply. I wish I would have started taking that sooner. Only downside...it makes me and my urine smell like maple syrup. Definitely weird, but well worth smelling like a Waffle House to get my baby some milk!





I now plan on returning to work on November 11th, giving me an extra week off. Michael has received a wonderful career opportunity to work a job in Ennes for two months. He will be traveling during the week, but home on the weekends. It is going to be tough on all three of us, but it will be okay. Brooke has slept for 8 hours straight the past two nights, and her nightly fussy spells seems to be getting better too. Daddy returned last night to us and we were so happy to see him and celebrate our first Halloween together as a family. We weren't planning on her dressing up, as she already had so many Halloween outfits, but Grammy insisted on making her a costume. It turned out so cute - we love it! Our little "B" is a such a blessing!







So originally I was planning on getting Brooke and I on a better schedule to return to work on Tuesday, however, my precious Grandmere passed away just over a week ago. Talk about adjusting - my life has been an emotional roller coaster. God has definitely been testing me and let's just say my prayer life is stronger now than ever! Getting ready to go back to work, Michael leaving town...and then losing a loved one! Whew... It was hard saying goodbye, but I know she is no longer in pain and has been joyfully reunited with her beloved husband and oldest son. I am most appreciative that Grandmere was able to meet her great-granddaughter. She thought Brooke was the most beautiful thing she ever did see, even after she swore up and down that my baby was going to be a boy...that we should name Peter!!! When we first told Grandmere we were going to have a baby, she already had the beginning stages of dementia, but she was so very excited to hear the news! We were out to lunch with my parents and we wrote "Great Grandmere" in front of her. She started bouncing up & down and clapping! She was over the moon anticipating the birth of our little baby. 


Grandmere's first and only visit to our home,
the day we told her the news.

Sharing our 8 week ultrasound with Grandmere,
2 days after she moved in to my parents' house.


Gender Reveal - she was predicting a boy!


My baby shower July 13, 2013.

Her health slowly digressed and she was in and out of a nursing home. I visited her often, always bringing her a dessert! No matter what her appetite, she never had a problem getting down a cookie or cupcake! Her spirits were always high through it all. She moved in with my parents in April and they took care of her during her last months. It was a tough job for all of them, but they gracefully made it work and my parents are ever so grateful for that time with her. It was a time of bonding and memories, and I think what my parents did for her, without a doubt, earned them a first-class ticket to the pearly gates. There is nothing more beautiful as caring for a loved one, especially during a difficult time. It's crazy the way things happen. A year ago Grandmere was living on her own and doing just fine. In the last year, I got pregnant, Grandmere got sick and she moved in with my parents. I was to be returning to work next week and my parents were going to be taking care of both her and Brooke. Now Grandmere has moved on and little Brooke is our shining light to help us get through this tough time. We are blessed that Grandmere not only got to meet our little one, but got to spend the last two months loving her. If it weren't for Brooke this past week, I am not sure I would have made it. God works wonders.





Anyone that knew Grandmere knew she had a sweet tooth! In her last days with us, she slowly stopped eating. I went to visit her as she was lying in bed in my old room. She lacked the energy to get up and had only eaten half a banana all day. I told her I had some cookies for her, but then we got to talking. As I was leaving, she shouted back to me, "I'll still take those cookies!" Even after our conversation, she still didn't forget about the dessert I brought. I went and got them and she laid there with her eyes closed munching on my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Those would be the last words Grandmere said to me, as her speech was next to go. I will always wonder what else Grandmere would have said in her last couple days with us. However, the things she did say during our time together will always be remembered. I will forever cherish and appreciate those memories. Next Thursday, Grandmere would have been 99! We still plan on celebrating her birthday, just as she wanted...with an assortment of desserts. She expressed her interest in going on a cruise before her 99th birthday. Although she didn't get that list trip, I know she had quite the journey and is now resting in paradise. She is looking down on us from above and will be remembered everyday until we are reunited once again.



Always "chipper"


Grandmere's 98th Birthday


Meeting her Great-Granddaughter, Brooke

With the loss of a loved one and the birth of another, it isn't easy, but we all must make adjustments. It makes you realize just how precious everyday is. "As we go on, we remember all the times we spent together." Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Cherish every moment. Don't hold grudges. Tell your family you love them. Laugh often. Pray daily. Give thanks. And never take life for granted.


"I'll see you when I see you."

No comments:

Post a Comment