Monday, November 4, 2013

November 4 - 2 months


2 month appointment was this morning. Brooke is now 13 lbs, 14 oz and 23.25 inches long. Our little girl is growing up before our eyes! Sometimes I still can't believe she's mine. I never knew I could love something so much. She is absolutely a gift from above!

She got her 2 month vaccinations today. I definitely teared up this time, as she got one in each leg and an oral vaccine as well. She screamed after the shots, but slowly calmed down as I held/hugged her tightly telling her it was going to be okay. I hate nothing more than to hear her cry and see her in distress, especially since she can't tell me what's wrong. Obviously this time I know she was in pain from the needles pricking her, but the cries that I don't know hurt more so much. 

We attempted to give our little one rice cereal (and then oatmeal cereal), 1 Tbsp in her nighttime bottle for about a week. Then decided to stop. We thought it was making her constipated. However, after stopping, we have still noticed that her dirty diapers are fewer and further between. Although even though there are less, the amount in the diapers is much, much more! This may be too much information for those of you who aren't parents, but let's just say a bath usually follows these blowouts!! Being pooped on is not as icky as I once thought. It's a fact of life when it comes to a newborn, and I know she feels ever so much better after she gets one of these. Whenever she is unusually quiet for an extended period of time and it's been a couple days, I know what's coming! Although there are surprises, no doubt. Michael has gone to pick her up out of her bouncer (and swing) and gotten his hands completely soiled...just from picking her up! Poor thing. 

Aside from our angel's dirty diapers, she is a complete joy! Her smiles melt our hearts, she talks to us more and more (coos, laughs, grunts, etc) and she loves to kick. Anyone that knows her has seen that finger of hers; she is always pointing her index finger out. I love it! She tries to suck her thumb, but any time I catch her, I pull it out. She does take her pacifier too, but not all the time. Her hands and fingers are very soothing to her still. Last week she had red marks all over one hand, like she sucked on it all night. Doctor said it's okay at this stage; again, it's very self-soothing for a newborn. In the womb, that's what comforted her. 

She loves to be rocked/swayed to sleep. I don't think it's habit-forming at this point. She just likes to be cuddled and held before bedtime. I miss the days of her being swaddled and sleeping on mommy's chest. She can't stand being swaddled anymore...not for the past month or so!

We finally gave in and bought a carrier, the kind that goes up to 33 lbs. She can be carried on front (facing in or out) or back. She is heavier than you think, after you walk a mile with her on the front of you. I felt like I was pregnant all over again...just with a bigger baby!! She usually falls asleep, but I love her "hugging" me as I carry her. The closeness is so sweet! We went on our first family grocery run, and a lady asked me "Is she 3 or 4 months?" I laughed and replied 2. Our sweet girl is so healthy - I love it!

I ended up taking off an extra week after my allotted 8 week maternity leave. With two deaths in the family and juggling everything else, I just was not ready. My job was okay with it and I am very grateful for their support during my maternity and bereavement periods.

Here are a few more pictures of Miss Brooke...




No comments:

Post a Comment