Monday, March 4, 2013

March 4 - 12 Weeks

We are now at 12 weeks!!! Oh my goodness. Goodbye first trimester. People say that the fatigue, nausea, etc should start to fade during the second trimester...before coming back with a vengeance in the third trimester. So that I am excited about...if it is true for me!

Our PB is now the size of a lime - holy Pete! That is much bigger than a lentil bean...and I feel like that was just yesterday!

The most dramatic development this week: Reflexes. Our baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, toes will curl, eye muscles will clench, and the mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod at my tummy, the baby will squirm in response, although I still won't feel it. The intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into the abdominal cavity about now, and the kidneys will begin excreting urine into the bladder. From crown to rump, our baby-to-be is just over two inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.


At 12 weeks, synapses are forming in our baby's brain.


My mom arranged dinner plans with my parents, her parents, Michael and I. I was finally ready to tell Pa & Ga!!! We had just been so busy, especially with moving Grandmere around, work, etc. Timing just hadn't been right.

We got to their house and said our hellos and gave hugs. Then, right on cue, Ga asked me what I wanted to drink. I said "nothing" and she said "no wine?!" I responded "No thanks" and she said "Oh, because of Lent?" I said "No, probably for a little longer than that." She looked worried and questioned "What! Why? What's wrong Jaime?" I said "Well, I'm having a baby!" She paused and then said "Are you serious?" I confirmed and she smiled from ear-to-ear saying "Get up here and hug me right now!!!" I got off the couch and gave her a big hug. I looked at Michael and my mom, both had tears filling their eyes. It was such a sweet moment. I said "Who knows, maybe you'll have your first great grandson?!" She said she didn't care if it was a boy or girl, this was the best news, it just made her day!

She asked us a few questions to get up to speed on everything, and I informed her that announcements would be sent out next week so she had to keep it a secret for a few more days. She said that was no problem!

After dinner, Pa grabbed my hand and cheered! Then said "Congratulations Jaime. We are so happy for you!" That melted my heart. They know this wasn't the way we thought things would happen, but they recognize the blessing and are embracing it with us!

I can't wait to Ga reading the blog and show her the pictures from the ultrasounds! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment