Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1 - 16 weeks

Getting ready for a growth spurt... In the next few weeks, our baby will double in weight and add inches to length. Right now, PB is about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. Legs are much more developed, head is more erect than it has been, and eyes have moved closer to the front of the head. Ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of the scalp has begun, though their locks aren't recognizable yet. He/she has even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, the heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as oour baby continues to develop.

They say I will be able to feel the baby move anytime between 16-20 weeks. While some women notice "quickening" as early as 16 weeks, many don't feel their baby move until about 18 weeks or more (and since this is my first baby, I might not be aware of the baby's movements until 20 weeks or so). The earliest movements may feel like little flutters, gas bubbles, or even like popcorn popping. Over the following weeks the baby will grow stronger and I'll be able to feel them much more frequently. I think I may have felt one of these "flutters" on Saturday. I was laying on the couch, and I felt something in my lower abdomen. It's so hard to tell if that was the baby moving or not, but I'm thinking it probably was. Once the little one gets a little bigger and stronger, I am sure I will have no doubt that it is he/she that is beating me up from the inside! I had Michael put his hand on my little belly last night and we tried to figure out if we could feel anything. Michael said he felt a heartbeat - but we weren't sure if it was his, mine or the baby's. I'm pretty sure it was mine...that or the pulse from his fingers! I can't wait until we can both feel the baby moving together! What an exciting experience. :)

Michael and I agreed the mood swings have been less frequent lately, although I was pretty emotional on Sunday. I don't know what it is, but once I start crying, it is REALLY hard to stop the tears at that point!

Ordered a 3 month supply of my prenatal vitamins via mail order today, and a couple pairs or maternity pants. Sitting at my desk today, I was tempted to unbutton my pants. They fit, but after sitting for awhile they become more uncomfortable and am thinking they are only going to get more snug! They say the baby will double in size over the next few weeks. So amazing that just a couple months ago, PB was the size of a sesame seed and in about a month, he/she will measure about 10 inches from head to heel!! Wow...what a miracle?!

No comments:

Post a Comment