Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11 - 32 weeks

Last night Michael and I attended a class at the hospital, on breastfeeding. I know he was not thrilled to go, but it was very educating for both of us. Especially as my absentmindedness increases, it is nice to have someone else hear all of these important things. Two and a half hours of nothing but breastfeeding! It was a long class but well worth it, and nice to hear a professional clear up some of the myths that are out there. 

As our little one grows, mommy is too! I have a gained a total of 15 pounds since January, but some days it feels like more. It is definitely getting harder to do many things that are taken for granted when you're not pregnant, such as sleeping, rolling over, bending down, going to the bathroom, household chores, sitting, standing up...the list goes on! Just standing for a short while wears me out, especially if I'm not moving around and just in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes. Thankfully, Michael usually gets home before me and prepares dinner for us. My left elbow has been bothering me lately too. I am not sure if it is the way I am sleeping, or if it could be something else. I plan to talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment. My fingers are swollen like sausages when I awake, but as I get moving around, the swelling goes down. However, by the end of the day the swelling has moved to my feet and ankles. I am sure a lot of this is due to the heat, in addition to the baby weight. I also know that even though it seems like it would be the other way around, the more water you drink, the less you retain. I drink at least 8 glasses a day, and even more if I'm in the sunlight. Heartburn and shortness of breath are back with a vengeance. I find myself "winded" even if I'm not doing physical activity. As Brooke continues to grow, she takes up more room in my tummy, causing my uterus to push up into my diaphragm...thus resulting in heartburn and shortness of breath. My inhaler and tums seem to provide help when I am feeling these symptoms. 

By now, our baby weighs 3 3/4 pounds (about the size of a jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in mommy's tummy. She's gaining roughly half a pound a week. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb.



As a child you seem to always analyze the way your parents punish you, and think to yourself how you will do things differently when you are a parent yourself. Now that I am grown and expecting my first baby, I notice so many more things, as I am going to have to make those decisions myself soon. One thing I know for sure is that Brooke Taylor will have everything she needs to survive. Most importantly she will be loved unconditionally. Sometimes it may be hard to deal with a crying baby, teething toddler and sleepless nights, but nothing will take our love away. No matter what happens she will always be adored by her mommy and daddy, as well as many other family and friends that already care for her so much. Another thing that she will always have is her religion. I was blessed with a family that provided me with the faith I needed from a very young age. I was baptized Catholic and throughout my childhood I continued to get religious education. In high school, I made a personal choice and further commitment to my Catholic faith and was confirmed. I can thank both of my parents and my Godparents, Bill and Milly, for their support in me and my faith. Lastly I will teach my daughter the difference between needs and wants. I want her to know the necessities in life and not be blindsided by all of the extras. It is nice to have some luxurious things occasionally, but those should be appreciated and not expected. Mommy and Daddy will provide her with everything she needs to survive (although I'm sure there will be some spoiling at first, especially from Grammy). I went to college for four years, then worked for five years before finding the job I am currently at now. It was not an easy road, but I can honestly say that I am happy where I am at. I know that the money I make is from a hard-earned paycheck. Things are not always handed down on a silver platter, and for that, I am grateful that my sister and I were taught that at an early age. We were never deprived of the things we needed and we learned to appreciate everything we had. I love knowing that the things I have came from hard-work and dedication; it means so much more than just having something handed to me. So thank you Mom and Dad - turns out you did a pretty good job!

So at 32 weeks, we can expect to meet our precious Brooke in two months...or less! :) Oh my. With every week that passes, I just keep thinking how fast time is going by. This coming Saturday is my baby shower, hosted by Jen, Milly and Elyse. I am so excited! I have been going back and forth about what dress to wear - I bought a few, not knowing which one would fit me best! It will be great to have all of my family together with Michael's family (well, the ladies at least)! Only two more days!!! Back to work, until then...

Mommy, 8 months pregnant

No comments:

Post a Comment