Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 15 - 37 weeks

Women are not lying when they say the last 4 weeks are the hardest. By this time, you are over being pregnant. The fatigue, the discomfort, the lack of sleep, the increased hunger, the contractions, the swelling and the anxiety all come into play! Someone told me that 36 weeks seemed just right…and I couldn't agree more. Just when you think you’re miserable, things only get worse. I find myself more unbalanced as Brooke continues to drop lower, throwing off my center of gravity even more. I am drinking more water than ever, meaning I am making more bathroom trips than ever. I am having more pain in my back at this point, and lying down unfortunately does not relieve the pain much.

I miss that feeling at the end of a long day when you first get in bed and lay back...I have a new found appreciation for bathroom stalls that have the door that swings outward rather than inward (this belly gets in the way)...I miss wearing my rings; I love my jewelry, and don’t want to risk anything getting cut off a swollen finger...I miss the size of my pre-pregnancy bladder...I miss sleeping through the night (but I’m sure those days are long gone)...I miss being able to get out of bed without rolling out sideways or getting out of my car with grunting and moaning...I miss my good memory; pregnancy brain is very real...I miss my heels; I hope my feet go back to normal size or else I have a very large shoe collection that will be for sale.

With all of that said, I imagine I am going to miss our baby girl being inside my belly and so close to my heart. It brings me joy to think that my voice is the sound she knows best. I hope that my voice calms her while she is in my arms and remembers the last 9 months that we have shared together. I can’t wait to meet her in person and for Michael to hold his daughter in his arms, along with the rest of our family. She has the most excited grandparents, aunt and uncles! It is only a matter of weeks (or maybe days) at this point.

I received a call from the doctor today saying that she has scheduled an induction for us. It will be at 5 am on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2 days before our expected due date. Most likely I will go into the hospital the night before to be checked and begin prepping for induction. This is all assuming Brooke does not make her debut on her own free will before then. Brooke’s expected date of delivery (EDD) is September 5, but anything could happen in the weeks to come.

Brooke is officially considered "full term," even though our due date is three weeks away. If I go into labor now, her lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb (some babies need a bit more time, though).

Our baby weighs close to 7 pounds and probably measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (about the size of a bunch of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But it shouldn't come as a surprise if our baby's hair isn't the same color as ours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz. From the ultrasound last week, it seems that Brooke has a lot of hair – can’t wait to see what color it is.



Oh…and I have to share a part of dream from last night. I had chocolate cake and ice cream in my bedside table drawer! Talk about convenient. Pregnant dreams have added such “color” to my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment