Sunday, August 18, 2013

August 18 - Another productive weekend

Friday was a great day! I worked in the morning and then met up with my mom for a manicure and pedicure. It was well overdue! I was not happy that when we arrived at the salon, there were not two seats together, especially since we had made appointments. Nonetheless, it was very relaxing and my swollen feet appreciated all the extra massaging! I treated mom for all of her help the past few months. I am so grateful on the days she comes over to help me with chores, takes me to doctor's appointments and listens to me complain to her about pregnancy! I don't know what I would do without her.

Afterwards, we went over to my grandparents' house. My mom had plans to take Pa to physical therapy. We all chatted for a bit before they had to leave, and I got to fill them in on baby Brooke. I stayed and talked to Ga for awhile before her cleaning ladies arrived. Then, I was headed home. 

I stopped by the grocery store for a few things and had a sudden craving for Magic Shell - it's the chocolate syrup that hardens when you put on ice cream. Of course, the store I went to didn't have it. So I tried another, and still nothing. I opted for 2 heath candy bars instead. I must say this was a first for me - going into a store just to buy candy. The lady at the cash register laughed, and I told her not to judge me! She said she was a mother and understood.

Jen was on her way over so we could go the pool and I told her my dilemma. She arrived with two bottles of Magic Shell - Reese's and Heath...and a frosting filled chocolate chip cookie sandwich! My sister knows me well, even pregnant! I gave her a belated birthday present and she gave me a couple things for Brooke (auntie always has something for her, and she's not even here yet). We headed to the pool, where Jen insisted that I do some exercises in the water, because she is ready for her niece to be here! I did a couple laps and leg exercises, then relaxed and enjoyed the water. 

Saturday, mom and I met up with Mallory to do my maternity pictures. We got started a little later than planned but it worked out fine. I had a bag of props and Mal worked her magic. I can't wait to see all of the pictures! Mom brought over chicken salad sandwiches to my apartment after the shoot and we did a few things around there before she had to leave...like trying to install the car seat and base into the car in 100 degree weather! We didn't quite finish that, as we were both sweating and had to go inside! Michael and I got ready for an early dinner. It is one of our last weekends without Miss Brooke here and we definitely enjoy our date nights. The only time open for reservations was 5:30 or after 9...so early it was. We both had a 3-course meal at Masraff's. One word...amazing! After dinner, we went to look at cars. Michael has been working Monday through Saturday for the past few week and car dealerships are mostly closed on Sundays. So we checked out Nissan, and I test drove a Rogue. I really liked it! We still want to do some looking, but it seems that it was I am leaning towards. We went home and watched "Olympus has Fallen" before going to bed. Great end to wonderful day!

Sunday, Michael was able to sleep in and I got up to do my "homework" for baptism preparation class. We were to explain the relevance of Titus 3:5:

But when the kindness and love of God our Saviour for humanity were revealed, it was not because of any upright actions we had done ourselves; it was for no reason except his own faithful love that he saved us, by means of the cleansing water of rebirth and renewal in the Holy Spirit which he has so generously poured over us through Jesus Christ our Saviour; so that, justified by his grace, we should become heirs in hope of eternal life. 

Once Michael was up, we ate eggs, sausage and hash browns, and then headed to the church. This was the second and last class of our preparation. It was good! There was a guest speaker who talked about family life; she recommended a few books about parenting and Catholicism. We also went over the Ars Chapel and were "walked through" the schedule of the Baptism Liturgy. I cannot wait for our baby girl to be here and receive the sacrament. What a blessed and holy day it will be. 

During this class, I was reminded of how lucky I am. As a child, I remember going to mass every Sunday, and when I was school-aged, I went to CCE (Continuing Christian Education/Sunday School) every week. During Lent, we gave up sweets. On Easter, we went to church before our Easter egg hunt. On Christmas, we went to celebrate the mass before opening our gifts from Santa. On the Feast of Saint Nicholas, we put our shoe by our door to receive a gift. On Ash Wednesday, we got ashes on our forehead. These are all things I didn't necessarily appreciate as a child. However, as I grow older, I realize not everyone was given the gift of faith. My parents introduced me to the church as an infant and over the years I created a relationship with God that I am extremely thankful for. Without my parents baptizing me, bringing me to church every week and engraving those sacred rituals into my brain, I would not understand the importance of faith. My Dad was not always Catholic; he converted shortly after my parents were married. I have a lot of respect for him to make that decision as an adult, and that is one of the reasons he will be the Godfather to our daughter. I hope that I can set the same examples for our child that my parents did for me, especially now that I understand the value of religion in my life.

After the class, Michael and I met up with Mallory for more maternity pictures, as a couple this time. We went to Memorial Park, but it was so darn hot that we only spent about 20 minutes out there. I was more than okay with that, because I was miserable! 

My ankles have been more swollen lately, and I suppose that comes with the last few weeks of pregnancy and the Houston heat. I also have experience serious itching on my ankles the past couple days too. I am assuming that is because of my skin stretching, due to the swelling. Fortunately, I have some cream that I got early in my pregnancy that was for itching on my stomach (again probably due to the stretching of my skin). It seems to be helping. My back has also been aching much more lately. Michael believes it is because of the extra weight I am carrying in front...probably so. It is getting harder and harder to get up and down, in and out of the car, move from side to side, etc. We are 2 weeks and 1 day from our scheduled induction on September 3rd (the day after Labor Day). Two of my friends who have recently had children went into labor on their own the day before their scheduled induction. So we shall see if that continues with our baby! Although at this point, two weeks seems like a very long time to wait for her. I want her to be ready when she comes, so I will put my selfish anxiety and aches/pains aside to ensure Brooke takes as long as she needs!

We ended our weekend eating homemade chicken and corn chili with cornbread, as well as milk and cookies, while we (mostly Michael) watched "Emperor". Back to work on Monday, still trying to end every day thinking it could be my last one before maternity leave. I don't return to the doctor until Friday, which was the only day she could see me this week. It seems so far away, and I am anxious to see what she has to say since the last appointment. Until then, prayers and love for baby Brooke until she decides she is ready to come into the world!

Love is patient, love is kind. ~1 Corinthians 13:4

No comments:

Post a Comment