Thursday, May 16, 2013

May 16 - 24 weeks

Our baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week, that puts her at just over a pound - oh my goodness! Since she's almost a foot long (about the length of an ear of corn), she has a pretty lean figure at this point, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon start to plump up. Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.


Lately I have noticed more hair on my tummy, but apparently that is pretty common. 47% of pregnant women report an increase in this specific area. I have also noticed some swelling in my fingers and feet lately. My feet are hurting after standing for shorter times and I feel like I get tired very easily, similar to the first trimester. When I wake up in the mornings my fingers feel very swollen, and some of my rings are too uncomfortable to wear at this time. My heartburn has also gotten worse. I thought I knew what heartburn was before I was pregnant, but that doesn't compare to what I experience now. It happens out of the blue - middle of the night, while I'm driving, first thing in the morning - not just after eating something spicy or acidic. I almost ripped my purse apart yesterday on the way home to find my tums; the pain was horrendous and it really feels like their is burning liquid inside me. I know lots of girls who never got heartburn during pregnancy, but for the ones who did said it was constant and very painful. I am going to talk to my doctor about taking something versus popping tums like candy. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment