Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 30 - 26 weeks

The network of nerves in our baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. She may now be able to hear both my voice and Michael's as you chat with each other. She's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of her lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when she's born and takes that first gulp of air. And she's continuing to put on baby fat. She now weighs about a 1 2/3 pounds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel.


As for my lower back that is a little more achy lately, I can thank both my growing uterus — which shifts my center of gravity, stretches out and weakens my abdominal muscles, and may be pressing on a nerve — as well as hormonal changes that loosen my joints and ligaments. Plus, the extra weight I'm carrying means more work for my muscles and increased stress on my joints, which is why I feel worse at the end of the day. Walking, standing, or sitting for long periods, as well as bending and lifting can all put a strain on my back. I feel like an old fart when I have to bend down to put a pan away or if I drop something I feel like it's the end of the world!

On a better note, Daddy felt Brooke kick for the first time tonight!!! After dinner we were sitting on the couch (more like laying for mommy) and I asked him, as I always do, if he wanted to feel my belly. I know that it has gotten frustrating for both of us at times, as I am so eager for him to feel her move, since I have the joy of feeling her daily. I want him to experience that feeling and excitement as well! So he has his hand right on my belly where I had seen it moving just seconds before and I feel a couple kicks...and so does Daddy!!! He said it only felt like a twitch, but nonetheless, he felt our little miss for the first time! :) He felt her move a little more and then tried watching to see if he could my belly move, but I think she must have been getting tired because that was the end of it.


A look from above down at my toes...and they're still there!

Earlier this week, Daddy also picked out and bought his first gift for Brooke. I can't wait to see her in it! It is a pink and camouflage bib that says "D is for Deer". So stinking cute!!! He talks about the two of them hunting and fishing together. I love to hear the excitement in his voice and see the joy in his eyes as he talks about his little girl. He told me she is going to have long, pretty hair too (like mommy)! Sometimes we lay in bed at night and imagine what she'll look like - blonde or brunette, mommy or daddy's eyes, etc. I cannot wait to see our little angel. No matter what color her eyes or hair, we already love her to the moon. 14 weeks from today, she'll be here! Mommy and Daddy are counting down...

No comments:

Post a Comment