Monday, February 11, 2013

February 11 - 9 Weeks

Let me start by reviewing the weekend...

On Saturday, I got caught up on laundry and rested. We had dinner plans for my mom's birthday at Maggiano's at 6:30. We met there - Mom, Dad, Jen, Mike, Michael and me - and had quite the feast. We ordered the family style meal and got 1 appetizer, 2 salads, 4 entrees and 2 desserts. However, all of that is unlimited, so they just keep bringing you more!! And to paint the picture, we devoured the 2 desserts (chocolate layered cake and pound cake w/carmelized bananas and vanilla bean ice cream) as soon as they hit the table. So we asked for 1 more of each, but in the mean time they brought out homemade profiteroles - pastries stuffed with vanilla bean ice cream topped with hot fudge and fresh whipped cream! Each couple snatched one of those! After they brought the two additional desserts, we were all crosseyed from the amount of food that we had seen and eaten. Then the waitress says she has one more thing to bring out. And what do you know...dessert #8?! Homemade lemon cookies with candles to sing to the birthday girl. She blew out the candles and we rolled out of the restaurant.

Although we were all miserable and ready for bed, we were headed back to Jen's for my mom to open her presents. This was to be interesting too, since my mom thought she was going to announce the news of my pregnancy to Jen and Mike. Jen and Mike knew at this point, but my parents didn't know that they knew. So Jen gave my mom a birthday gift that was a rattle with a B. It took a couple minutes for my mom AND dad to realize that it was a baby toy and then the confusion really started. My dad, who was about to fall asleep in the chair, pops up at this point. Mike then makes the comment "The B doesn't stand for Barbara, it stands for Baby!" This really confused my parents and then my mom assumes that they are trying to tell her that Jen is pregnant! Wow - this did not go as planned. Jen clarifies that it was because she knew that I was going to have a baby - not her! We all get a good laugh out of it and Jen proceeds to tell us all how some of the things my dad has said make a lot more sense now (like specifically telling Jaime at the table that there was alcohol in the cake...and laughing awkwardly after dinner when he said "It's like we ate for 7, rather than 6!") She then opened my gifts, which included something from "PB" (Precious Baby). We found a card that said Grammy, which is what she wants to be called, and wrote a note like it was from her grandchild! She loved it. :) We didn't get home and in bed until 11, which is way past my bedtime these days, however, we had a great night! Good food and great company.

On February 9, Jen gave us 2 baby toys for PB!!!
 Sunday, we were still full from all the food, and the weather was yucky - so we agreed with Mallory that we would postpone our photoshoot. We watched a couple movies, then went to play bingo and have dinner at my parents house. We said any winnings would go towards PB, but no one had any luck this time. We will be back though! :) I absolutely LOVE bingo and we found one not too far away. There's actually one closer in Katy, but they're closed on Sunday. I am thinking this is going to be one of my new favorite pastimes during pregnancy.


FYI - 60 cards is too many for 1 person to handle!

Now onto our 9 week old baby fetus...

Our baby is about the size of a grape and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. Starting to look more and more human. Essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form -- as do the tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Our baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks.


At 9 weeks, our baby is the size of a grape.
Eyelids now cover our baby's eyes...hopefully baby blues, like Michael!


No comments:

Post a Comment