Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 19 - 10 weeks

We are a quarter of the way through at this point! When we told Michael's mom I was 10 weeks, she goes "Only 30 weeks to go!" I guess the past 10 weeks have flown by pretty fast, but 30 sure sounds like a long ways left to go! We shall see, trying to stay positive - POSITIVE, POSITIVE, POSITIVE!!!

This week PB, barely the size of a kumquat, a little over an inch or so long, crown to bottom, and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce, our baby now has completed the most critical portion of his development. This is the beginning of the so-called fetal period, a time when the tissues and organs in the body rapidly grow and mature. Inside the womb, tiny nails are forming on fingers and toes (no more webbing) and peach-fuzz hair is beginning to grow on tender skin.

At 10 weeks, our baby's hands now meet over the heart.

Finally told my boss about the pregnancy. I was walking past his office and I just went for it. He was overly excited for me! He has two little ones at home and so just the thought of a baby puts a smile on his face, ear to ear! I was worried about telling him, since we are organizing a new department and the other girl who works very closely with me is 4 weeks ahead in her pregnancy! He was not worried and assured we would work it out as needed. He asked if I was planning to be a stay-at-home mom after the baby came, I told him that was not the case. He knows, depending on the actual delivery dates of Ashley and I, there is a big chance that we would both be gone for the same weeks. Again, he assured me not to be concerned. I told him I would keep him updated with doctor's visits and anything else that comes up. He said he thought it was time to update our knowledge on benefits, since there are now two pregnant employees in our department. I agreed. Even as I was walking out, he continued to congratulate me on the exciting news...still smiling ear to ear!

Ordered a 2-pack of belly bands and 3 pregnancy books yesterday. So excited for some new reading material! Two of the books our OB suggested to us, and the other one I found specifically for Michael. :)

Our plant, the one my parents gave us the day of our first ultrasound, is sitting on the patio. Michael waters it every other day!

I have been having horrible headaches for the past few days. The doctor said it was okay to take Tylenol, so I have been using that as sparingly as possible. Possible causes: the cutback in caffeine, quitting smoking, change in eyesight, etc. I plan on calling the nurse today to inquire. Other than that, sleeping has seemed near impossible lately too. I toss and turn and just can't seem to get enough shut eye. Maybe also due to the headaches. My skin has been insanely dry. I have been applying cocoa butter all over - my face, tummy, legs, arms, back, etc! My arms have been slightly itchy too. I think that is normal for some mothers-to-be, and having a past with eczema, I'm not too surprised. My asthma hasn't been bothering me too bad lately. I still get short of breath occasionally, for no reason, but I'm not to the point of needing to use my rescue inhaler. Besides the headaches, fatigue and dry skin, everything else is going pretty well. No real "cravings". I always liked ice cream and cake, so I don't think that counts! Sometimes I stick my nose up at things, but nothing too crazy yet!

It's been about a month since the last time Michael took pictures of my "growing" belly, so I'm going to have to get photographer/Daddy on that this week! Not into posting those on facebook, but I have some ideas up my sleeve later on down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment