Thursday, February 7, 2013

February 7 - Our First Ultrasound

Along with January 15, 2013 (the day of our first positive pregnancy test), today is another day I will never forget...seeing our little one for the very first time.

I was not sure how I was going to react. I told Michael last night that I know we had three positive pregnancy tests (2 urine, 1 blood) and it has been very real to me up until this point. However, it was just the unexpected that I was a little anxious about. I know it was positive, but I felt like there was this small doubt that they were going to tell me it wasn't real. Well...they didn't! :)

Our appointment was at 8 am this morning, and thanks to my research I found an obstetrician only half a mile away! We got to the doctor's office more than 15 minutes early, but ended up waiting in the hallway with another couple, since no one had arrived to unlock the door yet. Once they finally showed up, I was happy that most of the paperwork I had printed off their website and completed prior, so that saved some time there.

Shortly after 8, they called us back. I had to give them a urine sample...which they didn't tell me ahead of time, so I didn't know if I was going to have enough! Well, I did what I could...which was probably less than a teaspoon though - no joke! And I guess it was enough, because the nurse met us in the exam room and said it was surely positive. So like I said, it's as real as it gets...now FOUR positive pregnancy tests!

We met with the doctor...and I love her! She is very nice, which was super relieving since I know other people who have gone through multiple OB-GYNs before finding one they really connect with. She said she delivers 92% of her babies, which is very encouraging. Although if, for some reason, she is not available, another one of the other 7 female obstetricians in her office will deliver me.

So then it was onto the ultrasound... We go into this dark little room and the doctor asks Michael to turn on the lamp in the corner. It took him awhile to find the switch, but he finally got it! And next thing you know, there it was...a little speck on the monitor! That was our little bundle of joy. Surprisingly you can kind of see a outline of the baby, but obviously he or she still has a long ways to go. There was a tiny flicker in that speck and that was the heartbeat! :) She said that is a great sign, meaning there is less than a 4% chance that I would miscarry at this point. Michael reached over and grabbed my hand. What a moment that I will never forget...laying there holding hands and looking at our first child for the very first time!! After measuring the length a couple of times, she told us that September 14 was our estimated due date (although that could change in time). Nonetheless, mid-September is what we are looking at. Michael and I figured if the baby were to come a couple weeks early, like I was, that their birthday could be LABOR day!!! Pun totally intended! lol

Our precious baby ("PB") at about 8 weeks and 10 cm.

After that, we discussed maternity insurance coverage and received a bag of prenatal vitamins to try. There are multiple samples for me to decide which one I like best and they will get the prescription filled for me. Tomorrow I will stop using the OTC prenatals I bought and start with the sampling trial! I had one more stop before heading back home - to get blood drawn. They will run a few tests, including one to check for Cystic Fibrosis. We should know those results Monday.

As we pulled into the apartments, Michael asked if I had talked to my parents. I said I had texted them as we were on our way to get blood work...and what do you know? They were there waiting in the parking lot in front of my apartment, awaiting our arrival. They brought us a plant and a white teddy bear - they said they got white, since they didn't know whether to get blue or pink yet! :)

On February 7, Baby Taylor receives his/her first stuffed animal.
Michael whipped up some breakfast for us and then we all had to run! Grammy is ready to mark her calendar for September 14th and Grumpy is already baby-talking! It's the cutest thing. Mallory was so excited as well, she texted me this morning telling us congratulations and that she couldn't WAIT to hear all about the appointment! I am blessed to be surrounded by so much love so early on...and I know it's only the beginning. I can't wait until the rest of our family and friends know about our joyous news. I feel guilty not being able to shout it from the rooftops, but I want to make sure the next four weeks go just as smoothly. I hope to let my sister, brother-in-law, and all 3 grandparents in on the news soon. Hopefully before Easter, we will send out a picture announcement to the extended family and close friends.
Michael is making deer steaks for dinner...and is making everything as healthy as possible. He said he read that heavy, greasy and oily foods can aid to the nausea. So since he knows that I felt sick after eating onion rings in Kemah and chicken fried chicken in Deer Park, he is thinking that was the problem in both cases. He's so good to me! :) I splurged today and had my first caffeinated drink since I discovered I was pregnant. I was so tired from not sleeping well and getting up extra early for our appointment, that a little diet coke was just what I needed. Tomorrow will be another long day with a big event at work, but then we have a fun-filled weekend to look forward to. Mom's birthday is Saturday - dinner with my parents, Jen and Mike. Then Sunday, our photoshoot with Mallory. But for now, back to work to get ready for Chili Cook-off tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment