Friday, February 15, 2013

February 15 - Birthday Celebration Continues

We met my parents and Grandmere at Town & Country for lunch, since they had an 11:30 appt with Grandmere's doctors. After seeing the crowds everywhere, we decided on Skeeters. My parents gave me the unfortunate news that Grandmere's memory was rapidly declining and the doctors said that living on her own was no longer an option. They were surprised with the test results, considering how sharp she is in person. With this news, it made it even more clear to Michael and I that we needed to tell her about the baby. To our advantage, the "tablecloths" were butcher paper, so we figured we would write a note, since she has a hard time hearing. I wrote Grandmere in front of her, then wrote Grumpy in front of my Dad and Grammy in front of my mom. My Dad wrote Mommy in front of me, but I think it was too far for her to see. Then I wrote Great Grandmere. We asked her to read it. She thought we were saying she was great...so she gave herself a pat on the back! She is pretty great, but that's obviously not what we were trying to tell her. I drew an arrow pointing to her and we said "You ARE a great grandmere!" She got it! She started clapping and said we should name the baby Peter! We all laughed. My Dad said he didn't know of any Peter's in the family, but wondered where she came up with that. She kept saying "What a blessing!" We all pray that she will hang on to see her great grandchild! She surely wants to, and with her moving to my parents house and getting some around the clock attention, I hope she is able to maintain her health and memory for the better!


Grandmere's reaction to the news of her great grandchild!

After lunch, Grandmere came over to my apartment for the first time. We all helped her get up the stairs. She had some cookie cake and saw the picture of our first ultrasound. She sat on the couch after taking a tour of the place. She loved it! We told her that we planned to move to a bigger apartment before the baby comes, which would be on the first floor, so it will be much easier for her to come visit!



Grandmere survived her first trip to the apartment, up (and back down) the stairs!

Later that evening, we went to Max's Wine Dive for birthday dinner with friends. Michael and I were joined by three other couples off Washington. The food was A-mazing! Appetizers included cheese fondue with pretzel bread, pulled pork stuffed peppers and drunken bread. Then for dinner I got the macaroni & cheese (made with truffle oil) and chicken sliders (friend with chipotle honey). Michael got the lobster pot pie...he loved it!!


Mallory gave me a pregnancy calendar to log everything during this special time. Before I unwrapped the gift, she said "It's not all about you anymore!"


Chelsea gave me a gift card to Saks Fifth Avenue; she knows I love to shop! Everyone was talking about going to the bar afterwards, and I thought I would go just to do something. However, after all of that food, I was sleepy. It was 10:30 by the time we got home, and I went straight to bed! I know Michael was ready to go out for a few drinks, but he's a smart man...he went home with me!

Thanks to all my friends who made this birthday one to remember!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment